MONTHLY TABS

Thursday, May 23, 2019

AP Euro for Dummies by Logan Zonfrillo


AP EURO FOR DUMMIES
by Logan Zonfrillo


Chapter 1 : Things to consider before walking in to the first day of class

         If you clicked on this blog post, then you have already admitted to being a "dummy"... and that's BEFORE you get your first reading check grade back... If you want to apply your passion for history to this challenging class, the first rule is this: don't be a "dummy"... and if you already are one, then GET SMART. Of course, I'm not trying to insult anyone's intelligence but the fact of the matter is that doing well on your summer work is a wonderful way to declare yourself a "non-dummy" and put to practice some very beneficial homework rituals. Read closely, analyze deeply, write concisely. Learn the material from the passages that you are given for summer homework because the first few weeks of class branch off it. The following weeks branch off the first weeks and so fourth. Learning the basis of everything is key to knowing everything required for your AP exam. Causation is a major skill that we focus on in class so be sure to get familiar with the material provided to you and what it may have caused.



Chapter 2 : What did I enjoy in AP Euro?

        Before you assume that I love history, let me refute your assumption : I really REALLY don't like history... at all... or at least not until this year. For some unknown reason, I decided to take AP Euro this year despite my lack of passion for history in its entirety (maybe it's because I heard rumors of Salz being a great teacher?) and up until the end of first quarter I thought it was a huge mistake. The work seemed grueling and unpleasant but then I realized the type of discussion that I was naturally participating in throughout class. I think the one feature that I enjoyed most about AP Euro is its ability to make me truly understand the content in a way that I genuinely enjoyed it. The way we were learning made me want to contribute to discussion - a concept foreign to me in regards to any other history class - and it felt great! This class, due to its rigorous methods of preparation, truly synthesizes passion and confidence out of thin air! My favorite activity / activities that we did were the Socratic Seminars and / or Model UN-style conferences. The class helped with my appreciation of history, as I, for the first time ever, was able to comprehend and care about the events enough to enjoy talking about them to Salz and my peers. It's an experience that I wish everyone could get, so be sure to take this opportunity and capitalize on what is being presented!



Chapter 3 : What didn't I enjoy about AP Euro?

       This class possesses one of the harshest learning curves I have ever had to deal with. When your first reading check comes back around and you see your grade, don't be discouraged: it's part of the process... but MAN does that feeling suck (excuse my colloquial language). If you are a student that has become accustomed to getting 90s on every assignment, or if you were counting on getting highest honors all 16 quarters of all 4 years of high school, then best of luck and power to you, but don't be upset if this class deters you from your goal; it most definitely did to mine. It's really unfortunate to have to sacrifice GPA or honors status for this class and although that is 100% my least favorite part about the entire experience, I still have no regrets and would advise everyone to stick with it. It's a challenge. You will get bad grades. But part of the AP class is being able to adapt and finding your preferable method of studying / working in order to maintain prosperity. The skills that one develops along this adventure of a class are much more valuable than the few points lost off your GPA. Even after your grade drops, don't fret about the way colleges will review your transcript; they are well aware with how challenging this course is and will understand why this is the only class you've ever had lower than a 90 in. All in all, the grades look ugly, but it converts to a passing AP score, and some truly beneficial skills so do NOT be discouraged, persevere and you will be successful!



Chapter 4 : Suggestions for this class

       Mrs. Salisbury knows what she's doing. To be quite frank, there is not a ton that I would suggest in order to change the structure and flow of the class. If anything, I would say this: DBQs are an essential skill for the exam that we work on quite a bit, however I still felt weary when the prompt was staring back at me on the actual exam. The DBQs in class were erratically scheduled and I believe that everyone would benefit if there was a monthly DBQ to be done in class. An activity like that would be challenging and generally frustrating (no one WANTS to write a monthly essay) but the immense amount of practice that it would provide seems like it would do well in preparing students even better for the exam.



Chapter 5 : My advice to you

Class keys to success:
     1.) READ THE MATERIAL FOR EACH READING CHECK WELL *AND* TAKE NOTES
     2.) Trust the system, it's going to be a rocky road but it'll pay off!
     3.) Respect Salz and never wrong her... ever (she doesn't deserve it she's too kind)
     4.) If you're being bogged down with other APs, don't be afraid to reach out and ask for extensions (your teachers are very understanding and get that you have a lot of work for other classes)
     5.) *here comes the cliche that you've heard a million times* please... I'm begging you... don't procrastinate... it doesn't help anyone and it will make you hate yourself
     6.) Use class time wisely! You get a lot of time to work on your assignments in class so don't screw around and just put it off for homework
     7.) Believe in yourself! Stay motivated. You can do it. Take deep breaths. Stay focused. You got this!

GOOD LUCK AND GODSPEED

No comments: